The Exerpeutic 900XL extended capacity recumbent bike combines all of the most essential design features you need to enjoy effective cardio workouts from home.
With a durable walk-through frame and user-friendly design, the 900XL is a popular choice, despite its basic setup. The oversized seat, large pedals, and 300 lb capacity have helped make it one of the top recumbent bikes on the market.
In this review, we’ll walk you through the design features, console functions, and workout options, to help you decide if the Exerpeutic 900XL is the best exercise bike for your own home gym.
While ellipticals and treadmills are both excellent forms of fitness equipment, exercise bikes still remain the most popular addition to home gyms.
If you are considering buying a new exercise bike yourself, the main decision you will need to make is choosing between the recumbent and upright designs.
The Exerpeutic 900XL is classed as a recumbent bike due to its lower profile frame design, with a seat that provides better support for your upper body, especially your lower back.
It’s this low profile design that helps reduce the impact on your hip and knee joints compared to running on a treadmill, while still providing an effective cardio workout.
As well as the actual pedalling motion being lower impact, the frame also features a walk through design, with a clear space between the seat and flywheel to easily get into a comfortable cycling position.
The low impact nature of the exercise makes this bike ideal for a range of different situations, whether you are recovering from an injury, have limited mobility, or are simply looking to improve your overall fitness level.
So that the bike is better suited to a wider range of body types, the frame has been strengthened to support a maximum user weight of 300 lb. You can also adjust the distance between the seat and the pedals by sliding the seat along the main rail, although due to the range of settings this is best suited to users between 5’3″ and 6’3″ in height.
Exerpeutic 900XL – Features Summary
- Recumbent Design: The step-through style bike ensures easy on-and-off, as well as a comfortable workout that won’t unnecessarily stress your back and knees
- Leg Stabilizers: Extended leg stabilizers provide a rock-solid platform during even the most strenuous of workouts
- Transportation Wheels: Easily move the unit from one location to another
- Tension Resistance: Eight-level Magnetic Tension Control System allows you to customize your ride and challenge yourself over time
- Onboard Computer: Large, easy-to-read LCD display indicates distance, calories burned, time, speed, and heart rate information
- Heart Rate Sensors: Built-in hand pulse monitor helps you maintain your desired target heart rate
- Crank System: “Smooth torque” cranking system with precision-balanced flywheel and V-belt drive provides smooth, consistent, quiet pedalling
- Adjustable Seat: Fits users from five feet, six inches to six feet, three inches tall
- Safety: Larger pedals with safety straps prevent foot slippage
- Comfort: A padded, oversized seat cushion and back rest ensure as comfortable a workout as possible
8 levels of magnetic resistance
To adjust the intensity of your workouts, the Exerpeutic 900XL features a magnetic resistance system, where you can manually adjust how far the magnets are from the flywheel using a simple hand wheel.
Having 8 levels of magnetic tension makes it possible to quickly adjust the intensity of your workout, from a light cycle to a more intense sprint.
While the main result of regular training will be improved aerobic fitness, this can also help to build muscle and tone in your legs and aid with weight loss when combined with a calorie controlled diet.
Display console design
Whether you are working towards a target weight or simply to improve your overall fitness, it can be useful to keep track of your progress and monitor important workout information to see how much you are improving.
Although the Exerpeutic 900XL provides a very simple display console with none of the user settings or workout programs that higher priced bikes provide, it still clearly displays a range of information relating to your current workout.
This includes the overall distance cycled, calories burned, time spent cycling, speed, scan, and even your heart rate when you hold the heart rate hand sensors.
Whether you are buying a new weights bench or a new recumbent bike, it’s important to find out more about the quality and any issues experienced by other people who have bought the same product.
This is where customer reviews are so invaluable, with hundreds of full 5 star rating reviews currently available on Amazon. While having such a large number of highly rated reviews is testament to the quality of the Exerpeutic 900XL recumbent bike, it can also be useful to read a quick summary of the main points.
This is why we have read through many of the reviews, both high and low rated, to provide you with the convenient summary of the pros and cons listed below:
- Quiet to use
- Extended leg stabilizers are effective for preventing tipping and increasing stability
- Transport wheels make it quick and easy to store the bike away if needed
- The smooth torque cranking system provides smooth and consistent pedalling motion
- Easily adjustable tension settings
- Much of the bike arrives pre-assembled, making it much easier to setup
- Low cost compared to other highly rated designs
- Lacks the workout programs that you find on higher priced exercise bikes
- No Shelf to hold an MP3 player or tablet
- Adjusting the seat setting can be a hassle if used by more than one user, as adjustment requires releasing more than one locking pin