The Vive Precision Fingertip Pulse Oximeter measures SpO2 and pulse rate in less than 10 seconds, has a 2-year warranty, and over 1,000 reviews on Amazon.
Accurately monitoring your blood oxygen levels using pulse oximetry can be useful for a range of physical activities, such as hiking or cycling.
But how accurate is the Vive Precision Oximeter, and is it worth buying?
In this review, we’ll guide you through the design features, customer feedback, warranty coverage, and how to achieve the most accurate readings.
We’ve also included comparisons with similar devices, to help you decide if this is the best oximeter for you.
The Vive Precision Oximeter is one of only a few such devices to offer a multi-directional display. This allows you to rotate the screen to easily view the results from different angles.
A rotating display is an improvement over devices like the Zacurate 500DL, which only has one screen orientation – facing the user. This means you can have the results facing you if you’re taking the test yourself, or a caregiver if they’re administering the test for you.
Given the right conditions, you can expect a reading within 8-10 seconds. This is fairly standard of home oximeters, and can be slightly longer if your hands are cold.
A convenient carry case is provided, which helps protect the device during travel. There’s also a useful lanyard that allows you to wear the oximeter around your neck, keeping it to hand if you need to take readings throughout the day.
Audible Alarms for Sp02 and Pulse
The Vive Precision Oximeter features a built-in audible alarm system, which alerts you to when your Sp02 or pulse rate exceeds upper and lower limits.
These limits can be adjusted by you, and you’re able to turn the alarms off if needed.
How is it Powered?
With the Vive Precision blood pressure monitor, you can power the device using an AC adapter, without the need for batteries.
Unfortunately, this isn’t the case with their pulse oximeter. Vive Health provide you with a set of 2 x AAA batteries, which will need to be replaced after around 30 hours of use. You can also buy rechargeable batteries instead of alkaline, which can save you money in the long-run, given the 2 year warranty.
An automatic power-off feature has been added, which means the device switches off after 8 seconds. This only happens if your finger isn’t inserted into the clip.
Vive Precision Oximeter – Product Summary
- Check SpO2 levels quickly and accurately with the simple one-touch operation
- Self-adjusting spring system to perfectly fit most fingers without pinching
- SpO2 levels, plethysmograph, pulse rates, and battery life are displayed on a bright LED screen
- Includes two AAA batteries, convenient carry case, lanyard, and illustrated instruction manual
- Each device undergoes rigorous testing and is approved for use by the FDA
- Detects and alerts you of irregular heartbeats and low oxygen saturation levels
- Lightweight and conveniently portable
- Industry-leading 2-year guarantee
Accuracy and Ease of Use
Video: How to Use the Vive Precision Oximeter
Tips for Accurate Pulse Oximetry
The most common reasons customers gave for lower review ratings on Amazon relate to accuracy.
That’s why we’ve added a quick guide for how to achieve the most accurate Sp02 and pulse readings with the Vive Precision Oximeter:
- Ensure batteries are installed correctly
- Open the clamp
- Insert finger into the clip, with your fingernail facing upwards towards the screen
- Ensure your fingertip is directly in between the LED light source and LED sensor
- Release the clamp
- Press the button on front of the device once
- Keep finger and body still while the oximeter is taking its readings
What Should You Avoid?
Poor blood circulation can cause inaccurate or results. Warm your hands and fingers before taking the reading to increase blood flow.
The World Health Organisation (WHO) has also advised against wearing nail varnish or allowing bright light to enter the sensor. The color from nail varnish can absorb light from the oximeter and interfere with detection of oxygenated haemoglobin.
Certain medical conditions can also affect the accuracy of pulse oximetry. If you have hypotension, anaemia, tachycardia, hypothermia, or bradycardia, we recommend seeking advice from your physician.
A recent scientific study has shown that the highest Sp02 tends to be in the middle finger of the right hand. Conversely, the lowest is in the middle finger of the left hand, which is why we recommend using the same finger each time.
- 2 years
It’s also worth mentioning that if you buy through Amazon, you need to register the Pulse Oximeter within 30 days of purchase for the warranty to be valid. If you don’t buy through Amazon, you’ll need to buy through one of their other two authorized retailers, either Walmart.com or Ebay.com.
Who Are Vive Health?
Vive Health are specialists in designing life improving products that help maximize happiness and independence, with over 100,000 positive reviews.
This includes a range of health devices, such as blood pressure monitors, pulse oximeters, digital scales, physical therapy products. Two of their current bestselling health devices on Amazon are their Pulse Oximeter, and the Vive Precision Upper Arm Blood Pressure Monitor.
Their US-based contact number is 1-800-487-3808, and can be contacted for customer service between the hours of 8:30am and 5pm, Monday to Friday. You can also email them directly using the contact form on their official website.
What Do Other Reviews Say?
Our own oximeter reviews provide you with in-depth information and comparisons between the best devices.
But it’s also useful to check the feedback from as many people as possible, as not everyone has the same experience.
How easy was it to take a reading? Was customer service helpful and easy to contact? Were the readings accurate, and how comfortable was the fingertip grip?
The problem is, the best oximeters have thousands of reviews, and finding the most valuable information can be time consuming.
That’s why we did the leg work for you.
Listed below you’ll find a summary of the pros and cons for the Vive Precision Oximeter, based on direct customer feedback.
- Easy to use
- Comfortable to wear, with no pinch on the finger
- Clear and bright display, that’s easy to read in low light
- Battery level indicator is useful for knowing when batteries need replacing
- One-touch screen rotation makes it easy to read results without holding your hand in an awkward position
- Customizeable display is great for showing your most important information – including a graph of your heart beat
- Small and convenient enough to carry with you while travelling
- Compares well to the accuracy of devices used by medical professionals and in hospitals
- User manual clearly details how to get accurate readings, complete with diagrams
- Audible alarm is useful for knowing when user-configured low levels are breached
- Vive Health don’t produce an equivalent device for children. The Zacurate Children Oximeter would be your best option in this case.
- Some people reported a short battery life, but it’s unclear whether this was with the supplied batteries or a new set purchased separately. We would always recommend replacing the batteries soon after buying.
- Results aren’t instant, you have to wait for a few seconds before results are displayed, but this is typical of most oximeters
- No external connections or recording capability. You can’t store readings in-memory or sync them to a fitness app