The Zacurate 430DL Pulse Oximeter measures SpO2 and pulse rate in 10 seconds, has a 30-hour battery life, plethysmograph, and over 1,000 reviews on Amazon.
Accurately monitoring your blood oxygen levels using pulse oximetry can be useful for a range of physical activities, such as hiking or cycling.
But how accurate is the Zacurate 430DL Oximeter, and is it worth buying?
In this review, we’ll guide you through the design features, customer feedback, warranty coverage, and how to achieve the most accurate readings.
We’ve also included comparisons with similar devices, to help you decide if this is the best pulse oximeter for you.
The most important feature of any pulse oximeter is accuracy. That’s why it’s encouraging to find that the 430DL is one of the few oximeters to offer a built-in plethysmograph.
A pleth waveform can provide useful information regarding the heart condition, such as identifying irregular heartbeats. These would lower the amount of oxygenated blood delivered to the body, resulting in a drop in SpO2.
By waiting until the pleth waveform displays a uniform pattern, you’re able to increase the accuracy of each reading.
In addition to the plethysmograph, the 430DL also features a multi-directional display. This caters for the person taking the reading to view the results themselves, or a caregiver who is administering the reading.
Feedback provided on the bright OLED display includes blood oxygen saturation (Sp02) and pulse rate.
Although there’s no carry case included, you do get a useful lanyard, which allows you to wear the device around your neck for easy access throughout the day.
There’s also no audible alarm for if your Sp02 or pulse rate exceed upper and lower limits. This is a feature that’s available with the Zacurate 500D and Vive Precision Oximeter.
How is it Powered?
The Zacurate 430DL takes 2 x AAA batteries, which the company reports should last for up to 40 hours of use. This is the longest battery life we’ve seen from a home oximeter.
To help preserve battery life, Zacurate have fitted an auto power-off feature. This means the screen turns off after 8 seconds of inactivity, unless your finger is in the clip.
Unfortunately there’s no visual indicator for when the battery level is low, which is a feature that’s built into the Zacurate 500D.
There’s also no way to charge the 430DL other than batteries. Some models can be charged via USB, or even when connected to a phone, as is the case with the Aupalla Oximeter. But accuracy with such devices tends to be poor, which is why we only recommend battery-operated oximeters.
Zacurate 430DL Oximeter – Product Summary
- Tracks SpO2 (Blood Oxygen Saturation level) and pulse rate measurement, even at low blood perfusion
- Accuracy deviation of +/- 1%, under lab conditions
- Advanced ABS Plastic for Infrared Shielding
- Contains Plethysmograph Waveform Technology
- Dual color OLED rotatable display
- Adjustable OLED screen brightness
- Finger chamber with SMART Spring System
- Accommodates wide range of finger sizes – children to adult
- Manufactured according to CE and FDA standards for pulse oximeters
- Only pulse oximeter from the Zacurate® line with 18 months of manufacturer warranty
- Include 2 x AAA batteries, protective silicon cover, and lanyard
- 30-hour battery life
- More accurate than the Pro Series 500DL (+/- 2%) and 500D (+/- 2%)
Accuracy and Ease of Use
Tips for Accurate Pulse Oximetry
The most common reasons customers gave for lower review ratings on Amazon relate to accuracy.
That’s why we’ve added a quick guide for how to achieve the most accurate Sp02 and pulse readings with the Zacurate 430DL:
- Ensure batteries are installed correctly
- Open the clamp
- Insert finger into the clip, with your fingernail facing upwards towards the screen
- Ensure your fingertip is directly in between the LED light source and LED sensor
- Release the clamp
- Press the button on front of the device once
- Keep finger and body still while the oximeter is taking its readings
What Should You Avoid?
Poor blood circulation can cause inaccurate or results. Warm your hands and fingers before taking the reading to increase blood flow.
The World Health Organisation (WHO) has also advised against wearing nail varnish or allowing bright light to enter the sensor. The color from nail varnish can absorb light from the oximeter and interfere with detection of oxygenated haemoglobin.
Certain medical conditions can also affect the accuracy of pulse oximetry. If you have hypotension, anaemia, tachycardia, hypothermia, or bradycardia, we recommend seeking advice from your physician.
A recent scientific study has shown that the highest Sp02 tends to be in the middle finger of the right hand. Conversely, the lowest is in the middle finger of the left hand, which is why we recommend using the same finger each time.
Who Are Zacurate?
Zacurate is a brand of pulse oximeters marketed by Med Shop & Beyond, alongside two Acc U Rate devices – the Acc U Rate 430DL and the Acc U Rate 500DL.
Med Shop & Beyond have several authorised dealers, through which they sell their pulse oximeters. Make sure to only buy from one of the following authorized dealers if you want a valid warranty: Amazon.com, Med Shop & Beyond, Evamedical, or Beyond Med Shop.
The main contact address for Med Shop is in Stafford, Texas, and many of the Zacurate oximeters have thousands of positive reviews on Amazon. This is due, in-part, to the excellent customer support.
What Do Other Reviews Say?
Our own oximeter reviews provide you with in-depth information and comparisons between the best devices.
But it’s also useful to check the feedback from as many people as possible, as not everyone has the same experience.
How easy was it to take a reading? Was customer service helpful and easy to contact? Were the readings accurate, and how comfortable was the fingertip grip?
The problem is, the best oximeters have thousands of reviews, and finding the most valuable information can be time consuming.
That’s why we did the leg work for you.
Listed below you’ll find a summary of the pros and cons for the Zacurate 430DL Oximeter, based on direct customer feedback.
- One of the top oximeters on Amazon, based on number of reviews and average rating
- Excellent accuracy. Many customers compared the readings against professional units in hospitals and found the results matched
- Numbers are bright and displayed in a high resolution that’s easy to read
- Convenient for tracking blood oxygen levels when suffering from conditions such as pneumonia, COPD or asthma
- Plethysmograph is effective for helping get the most accurate reading
- Orientation of the screen can be rotated at the press of a button, unlike the FaceLake FL400 Oximeter
- Compact size and lightweight design makes it easy to carry around
- Easy to use
- Excellent customer service from Zacurate if customers experienced problems with the device
- User guide is well written, with clear instructions for getting the best results
- Fast to report results
- Can be quite difficult to slide in and out of the protective carry case
- One customer that carries the device with them when making house calls found the batteries slipped out of place sometimes
- Overall, a very small number of reviews rating the Zacurate 430DL 3 stars or less. The main problems customers mentioned were slow readings and inconsistent results, but this can happen with any oximeter, and may be due to poor circulation, cold fingers, or too much movement