This site may contain links to affiliate websites, and we receive an affiliate commission for any purchases made by you on the affiliate website using such links. Read Our Disclosures
The ProSource Multi-Grip Pull Up Bar is one of the most popular doorway pull up bars on Amazon, with a 300 lb weight capacity.
Its multiple grip positions allow you to perform neutral grip pull ups, chin ups, push ups, and wide grip pull ups. This allows you to target a wide range of muscle groups, including biceps, back, shoulders, and chest.
But how does the ProSource Multi-Grip compare to straight pull up bars, like the GoFit Chin Up Bar? Also,
how does it compare to the Sportneer Multi-Grip Trainer, which features an almost identical design?
In this review, we’ll walk you through the features and installation process, to help you decide if this is the best pull up bar for your own home workouts.
The ProSource Multi-Grip is one of the most affordable pull up bars on the market, yet still features a high-grade steel construction. This helps to support up to 300 lbs, across doorways 24 to 36 inches wide.
With a 41-inch bar length, you can perform wide grip pull ups with the full range of motion. This is in addition to the chin ups and neutral grip pull ups you can perform as part of a back workout.
The portable and lightweight design means it’s quick to setup, or switch between back and chest workouts, if you want to perform push ups from the floor.
Each grip position has also been covered in foam, to improve your grip and reduce the pressure on your hands.
ProSource vs. Sportneer – Which is Best?
The overall design is almost identical to the Sportneer Multi-Grip Trainer, which at the time of writing this review, was a more expensive option.
The Sportneer pull up bar also only had a fraction of the reviews on Amazon, with just over 200 compared to over 2,000 for the ProSource Multi-Grip. Average rating was very similar.
One noticeable difference is that the Sportneer uses 2 reinforced eva foam pads to protect your door frame, whereas the ProSource pull up bar uses textured PVC. Sportneer also claim a higher weight capacity, at 330 lbs.
ProSource Multi-Grip – Product Summary
- 12 comfortable grips & various handles allow you to perform wide, hammer, close-grip exercises
- Fits all standard door frames (24 inches to 36 inches wide)
- 42″ wide pull up bar
- Strengthen entire upper body and abs with pull-ups, sit-ups, push-ups, dips, and leg raises
- Slip-in design fits standard doorways for quick installation and assembly
- Portable design makes it easy to squeeze in workouts and stay fit at home
- Exercise guide included
- Made of high grade steel & built to last
- Holds up to 300 lbs
- Includes a limited lifetime warranty
Assembly and Installation
As with most doorway pull up bars, we recommend keeping all the bolts loose until you’ve got all the bar sections joined together. This makes it easier to line up the bolts in their respective slots.
Full assembly doesn’t take more than 20 minutes, and it’s simple enough to look at the picture and match the labeled hardware with the pieces. Tools are included (wrench and allen key), which makes the process easier.
A quick scan through the Amazon reviews reveals most people had a positive experience during the assembly. Although some said the written instructions were a little small and condensed, most just used the diagram.
The ProSource Multi-Grip Pull Up Bar supports a complete upper body workout, using only your body weight for resistance.
There are 8 grip positions to choose from, including pronated and supinated (overhand and underhand) pull ups. You can also use a neutral/hammer grip to target the forearms and brachialis. This makes it one of the most effective exercises for training your back and bicep muscles.
Chin ups can also be performed with the bar at the top of the door frame, or move it to the base of the frame for sit ups and ab crunches.
Because of its lightweight design, and fact that it requires no permanent fixings, you can also perform exercises away from the door. From the floor, you can perform push ups and tricep dips, to train your chest, tricep, and shoulder muscles.
Suitable for ab workouts and taller users?
The only downside is that the wide grips aren’t elevated, as they are on the Ultimate Body Press XL. This gives you less space to perform hanging leg raises, and makes a full range of motion more challenging during pull ups, if you’re particularly tall.
But the lack of elevation doesn’t seem to have affected it’s popularity, as the Multi-Grip is still one of the top rated pull up bars on Amazon. The price difference between the two bars may also be a factor, with the Ultimate Body Press version more than twice the price of the ProSource design.
What do the ProSource Multi-Grip reviews say?
An important part of any pull up bar review is to look at the feedback from other people who have bought and used the bar in their home workouts.
How easy was it to fit? Did they have a good experience with customer service? Was the bar strong enough, and were the grips comfortable to hold?
But reading through hundreds or even thousands of reviews can be time consuming. That’s why we did the leg work for you, and created a summary of the pros and cons for the ProSource Multi-Grip, based on direct customer feedback.
- Hammer grip pull up position is a popular choice for customers that had pre-existing rotator cuff problems
- Strong steel construction helps improve stability
- Wide variety of grip positions for different types of pull ups
- Quick and easy to assemble and install
- Versatile enough to switch between back and chest workouts quickly
- Can be used for a range of Beach Body home workout programs, including P90X
- Requires no permanent fixings, so no screw marks in the door frames
- All parts, including bars and bolts, have been well packaged to prevent damage prior to unboxing
- Thousands of reviews on Amazon, making the ProSource Multi-Grip one of the bestselling pull up bars on the market
- As with any leverage doorway pull up bar, the sections that rest against the door frame can cause dents or black markings. Some customers have added an extra layer of foam or cardboard as protection around each end with good results.
- Leg raises can only be performed by bending your legs. This isn’t an issue for elevated doorway pull up bars, like the GoFit Elevated.
- Taller users (6ft+) may not be able to reach full extension on pull ups without your toes hitting the ground. If you’re over 6ft tall, you may want to consider an elevated pull up bar
USA Home Gym gives in-depth insights into gym equipment, supplements, and fitness training methods. The motivation behind USA Home Gym is to provide you with information that goes beyond what you can find in any user manual, customer review, or other online review sites.
We go to great lengths to ensure that our reviews are completely comprehensive, usually covering everything from the design features to the warranty coverage and exercise options. This is all to help guide you towards the home gym equipment that’s best suited to your goals and budget, whilst also being the highest quality option in your chosen price range.