One of the hardest decisions to make when choosing a new pair of adjustable dumbbells is which weight adjustment system is going to be the most reliable and easy to use.
After looking at a whole range of options in our other adjustable dumbbell reviews, including sliding pins and rotating handles, we’re now taking a look at the ‘clip-on’ weight plates of the Rocketlok 100 lb dumbbells.
Weight plate adjustment system
With so many adjustable dumbbell sets now available, it can be difficult to really identify the important design features.
Whether you are frequently changing the weight as part of a fitness program like P90X, or only once per exercise, it’s important to be able to do so quickly and safely.
That was the main goal behind the design of the Rocketlok 100 lb dumbbells, which don’t visibly rely on any form of sliding plastic adjustment or locking pin.
Despite taking a bit more effort than simply rotating a handle, it’s not much more work to attach the required weight plates to the end of the dumbbell.
One feature that’s certainly worth knowing about is the ability to extend one of the dumbbells well beyond the standard 50 lb capacity.
Increasing the maximum weight from 50 lb to 85 lb
Although the set is essentially designed to provide 2 dumbbells with a maximum weight of 50 lb each, due to the innovative weight plate locking system, you can also choose to load one of the dumbbells with up to 85 lb of plates.
While this does mean that you have one heavier and one lighter dumbbell, this can be an ideal situation for a range of exercises, including dumbbell rows and overhead tricep extensions.
Starting with a minimum weight of 15 lb, you can simply pick up a weight plate, press the face against the plate already attached to the handle, and rotate until you hear it click into place.
You then have a very safe and secure dumbbell that can be used for a wide range of exercises.
As soon as you’re ready to reduce the weight, pressing a button at the end of the dumbbell and rotating in the opposite direction will release the plate.
Rocketlok 100 lb Dumbbells – Features Summary
- Each dumbbell adjusts from 15 to 50 pounds in 2.5 pound increments in just seconds allowing rapid transition from one exercise to the next
- Dumbbells lock up tight with no rattling or looseness
- Combines 15 sets of weights with one handle
- Dimensions: 6.5″ x 6.5″ x 14.5″ long at the 50lb size and just 9″ long at 15lbs size.
- Handle grip diameter is 1.25″ and there is 6.5″ grip width inside
- Our advantage over other variable weight dumbbell systems, we can place all the extra weights on to one single handle to create an 85 pound dumbbell. (15 pound handle 70 pound of add on weights)
Whether you get the best results from high rep or low rep sets, if you’re working the muscle to failure then there may come a time where your grip starts to weaken.
It’s at this point when it’s reassuring to know that the Rocketlok 100 lb dumbbells have been designed with a coated handle.
Not only does this make them more comfortable to hold, but it also means that you can grip the bar for longer, increasing the number of reps you can perform for your target muscle group.
Although there’s a lack of ergonomic contouring to the shape of the handle, at 6.5″ in length, there’s enough space to adjust your hand position if needed.
This gives you the space you need to keep the weight distribution as close to the center as possible, while still offering enough freedom of movement to prevent any discomfort on your wrists or hands.
Additional weight plate and stand options
Another great feature worth mentioning is how versatile the Rocketlok 100 lb dumbbells are.
Due to the style of the weight plate adjustment system, the fact that you can essentially just clip plates together means they can also be used with the Rocketlok barbell.
This is similar in design as far as attaching the weight plates goes, but offers a wide range of additional exercises.
The fact that this is a cambered bar rather than straight also helps to reduce the pressure on your wrists or forearms during curling exercises, or overhead extensions.
The second addition that you might want to think about buying to go with the adjustable dumbbell set is the Rocketlok Platinum Finished Stand.
Unlike some sets, this is sold separately to the dumbbells, but at a very reasonable price. As well as providing a stable resting point for your dumbbells between workouts, it can also hold a large collection of the Rocketlok weight plates.
Additional weight plates are available separately in sizes of 2.5 lb per plate, as well as a pair of 5 lb handles. These handles could be a useful addition if you think the 15 lb minimum weight of the Rocketlok 100 set will be too high to start with.
Even with the Rocketlok 100 lb dumbbells having relatively few reviews, it’s fair to say that customers have had mixed experiences with using this set.
While many find the rotating weight plate adjustment system quick and easy to use, there are some customers who had difficulty with weight plates not locking into place.
Despite having far fewer reviews than better known sets, such as the Bowflex 552’s, we were still able to put together an impressive summary of pros and cons.
- Quick and helpful customer service
- Quick and easy adjustment of the weight plates
- Unique ability to load one adjustable dumbbell with a weight that exceeds its traditional limit
- Lack of coating to the weight plates does leave them more exposed to scuffs and scratches, but also helps keep the size to a minimum
- Excellent weight distribution
- Although it needs to be purchased separately, you can buy a storage stand specifically designed for the Rocketlok dumbbells.
- High quality aesthetic design
- A couple of customer reviews both mentioned the same intermittent problem with the locking and unlocking of weight plates.