This site may contain links to affiliate websites, and we receive an affiliate commission for any purchases made by you on the affiliate website using such links. Read Our Disclosures
The Exerpeutic 1000XL Magnetic Elliptical is built around a sturdy frame, strong enough for cardio workouts at home, with a 300 lb capacity.
But even as one of the cheapest elliptical trainers we’ve reviewed, is it worth the money?
In this review we’ll guide you through each of the key design features, including the 13″ footpath, 8 levels of resistance, and easy-to-read LCD display. This is to help you decide if the Exerpeutic magnetic elliptical is the best choice for your own home workouts.
If you’re looking for an elliptical trainer on a budget, there are a few options that have proved more popular than any other over the past few years.
The Exerpeutic 1000XL is one of these machines, and is designed to provide an effective workout for both your upper and lower body muscle groups.
The precision balanced flywheel and v-belt drive help to ensure a quiet workout, allowing you to listen to music or watch TV without interruption.
The oversize foot pedals also feature a raised front lip section and a ribbed surface to prevent your feet from slipping during your exercise.
This is even more useful due to being able to use both a forwards and backwards running motion when training.
Although the heart rate hand sensors have been added to the smaller set of handles, a number of reviews have reported fluctuating readings on the LCD screen.
As with most lower priced exercise bikes and ellipticals, the heart rate feedback won’t be completely accurate. If this is something you want to track accurately, we would recommend either purchasing a separate heart rate chest strap and receiver, or taking a look at one of the higher priced machines.
The reason higher priced ellipticals often provide more accurate feedback on the calories burned and heart rate level is because they allow you to enter basic personal information, such as age and weight.
Exerpeutic 1000Xl – Features Summary
- Design: Natural Elliptical motion eliminates any bouncy movement that other competitive elliptical experience.
- Tension resistance: 8 Level magnetic tension resistance adjustments can provide the user with a more challenging workout
- Computer: An easy to read large window LCD display that indicates distance, calories burned, time, speed, scan and target zone heart rate monitoring.
- Target zone monitor: Pulse pads on the additional stationary handle bars provide heart rate monitoring
- Quietness: The precision balanced flywheel and V- belt drive provide a smooth and quiet operation. It will not interfere with watching TV or listening to music.
Display console design
If you’re more used to using the commercial quality ellipticals at your local gym, the display console on the Exerpeutic 1000XL will probably seem a lot more basic in its functions.
Although there’s no multi-coloured LCD display to show your progress around a virtual course, the important workout information can still be displayed.
This includes time, speed, distance, calories burned, and an odometer.
There’s even the option to set some basic workout goals for your current session. The ‘Mode’ button lets you choose from time, distance, calories, and heart rate.
For time, distance, and calories, the value you choose will then count down on the display until you reach your target.
While a few preset training programs would have been nice, excluding these from the built-in computer and keeping the display console simplified are two important reasons why the price of the Exerpeutic 1000XL has been kept low.
Quality of assembly instructions
With the quality of assembly instructions receiving a lot of attention in the customer reviews, we wanted to take a look through and dedicate a quick section of our review to the user manual.
Even though the assembly should only be something you need to do once, it still appears to be the cause of many lost stars in the Amazon reviews.
As you might expect, the Exerpeutic 1000XL user manual includes everything you would need to get setup and enjoying your first workouts.
This includes a full parts list, list of parts that are required to complete the remaining assembly, step-by-step assembly instructions (complete with part numbers and exploded drawings), and even a guide on how to stretch and properly warm up before your workout to prevent injury.
In terms of the instructions themselves, we found them to be fairly comprehensive in covering how the different parts fit together.
One of the more difficult steps of the assembly is where the tension control knob cable needs to be attached to the tension cable.
While this is actually one of the steps that’s talked through clearly, there are one or two where it feels like they needed to be split out into a more detailed explanation in separate steps (in particular, step7).
We’ve included a link to the user manual here, so that you can also have a read through if you want to.
Although the majority of the reviews are extremely positive (hence the high average rating), it’s still important to take into account any negative points that are mentioned on a regular basis.
This is why we’ve provided a quick overview of the most frequently mentioned pros and cons from a large number of the reviews we read through ourselves. As always, you can read these reviews in full and find many hundreds more over at Amazon.
- Quick and easy to assemble
- Quiet to use
- Sturdy frame design
- All the tools you need to assemble the elliptical are included
- Transport wheels make it easy to move if you need to store the machine away between workouts
- Wide range of resistance settings to provide challenging workouts
- Provides lower impact workouts compared to running on a treadmill
- Lower priced than many similar machines that provide the same level of workout options
- Excellent customer service
- Shorter stride length (13″) compared to higher priced machines or the Gazelle Edge
- No preset workout programs to choose from
- Assembly tends to be the main point of contention. Some people find it easy while others report taking over an hour.
- Display screen often provides incorrect readings for calories burned and heart rate
USA Home Gym gives in-depth insights into gym equipment, supplements, and fitness training methods. The motivation behind USA Home Gym is to provide you with information that goes beyond what you can find in any user manual, customer review, or other online review sites.
We go to great lengths to ensure that our reviews are completely comprehensive, usually covering everything from the design features to the warranty coverage and exercise options. This is all to help guide you towards the home gym equipment that’s best suited to your goals and budget, whilst also being the highest quality option in your chosen price range.